Advantages of Broaching Machine
Broaching has been adopted for mass production work. It has following features and advantages:
- Rate of production is very high with properly applied broaches, fixtures and machines, more pieces can be turned out per hour by broaching than by any other means.
- Little skill is required to perform a broaching operation, in most cases the operator merely loads and unloads the work piece.
- High accuracy and high class of surface finish is possible. A tolerance of ±0.0075 mm and surface finish of about 0.8 microns can be easily obtained in broaching.
- Both roughing and finishing cuts are completed in one pass of the tool.
- The process can be used for either internal or external surface operation.
- Any form that can be reproduced on a broaching can be machined.
- Cutting fluid may be readily applied where it is most effective because a broach tends to draw the fluid into the cut.
Limitations of Broaching Machine
Following are the limitations of the broaching machine:
- High tool cost. A broach usually does only one type of job and is expensive to make and re-sharpen.
- Very large work pieces cannot be broached.
- The surfaces to be broached cannot have an obstruction.
- Broaching cannot be used for removal of large amount of stock.
- Parts to be broached must be capable of being rigidly supported and must be able to withstand the forces that are set up during cutting.